Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Starbucks and Me

With nothing much in mind today, i decided to laze my afternoon away at the starbucks near my place. I am always glad to live in an area whereby heading to the fastfood joints, cafe n eaterys are all in walking distance. I went to my usual spot, the cushy single seated sofa by the window. Once again, it was empty n waiting for me to sink in and drift away in my thoughts. It was the best spot in the house, i could see the throngs of pple crossing the road, to the rest jostling into the mall, and anyone that walks into starbucks to get their usual cuppa. From office workers, to students etc. I ordered my venti spearmint green and sat down happily. Then someone came in tt caught my eye. He was an elderly man, late 50s, carring a sch style backpack, and pulling another trolley bag, holding the hand of his son. His son had down syndrome. I could spot the usual characteristics quite easily as in features wise. And then came the smiling to oneself, weird hand n leg gestures. He passed the waitress 5 bucks, asking her to bring him a cup of brewed coffee. I guess, u must guys must be wondering, hey wait a minute..this is not those coffeshop that take orders n they bring your kopi-c siew dai for you. Yup, totally agree, but HAH..well the thought tt came nxt into my mind was that he didnt dare to leave his son alone. I guess he had cases of getting lost or running wild before. Well, i m sharing this story because I feel for the Father n for the son. I guess no dad would wana son to be born that way, n yet i admire this man alot. For the fact that he's 50 plus n he has to takecare of someone that behaves like a 5 year old for the rest of his life is something very noble. The patience he has is unmeasurable. Sometimes i use to think that why doesnt a dad chose to abort that baby if they are aware tt the child wld be down syndrome at birth? I feel that the abortion might nt b a cruel thing, afterall the child born into this world, would only meet much struggle and sufferings. If i love him, i wouldnt want him to suffer in this alrdy competitive n cruel world, so why not end his sufferings early before his even the slightest aware of it...but then again , some pple say who are we to choose who gets to live or die?

2 comments: